The Preserve Academy Firearms Safety Training
The Preserve Academy, located at The Preserve Sporting Club & Residences, offers a comprehensive curriculum that includes Firearms Safety, Tactical Training, Martial Arts and Survival, and so much more. Our faculty was hand-picked from America’s most accomplished professionals in a host of relevant disciplines. Collectively boasting in excess of 25 years of experience, the faculty includes Special Forces Weapon Sergeants, law enforcement and S.W.A.T. veterans, active and retired ICU physicians and nurses, and multi-degree black belt holders. They pride themselves in working with enrollees at all skill levels, from novice to expert. Law enforcement training and certifications available. Contact us today.
We Are Open 7 Days A Week
With over 25 years of law enforcement experience; you will learn from experienced instructors who will help you enhance your skill set, increase your knowledge and raise your self-confidence!
Covers firearm safety and shooting fundamentals in the classroom and then it’s off to the range. We cover grip, stance, and more…
Overview of the Rhode Island pistol permit application, carrying a concealed firearm in Rhode Island, firearms safety, and more.
Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling, pistol parts and operation, ammunition, shooting fundamentals; range rules…
NRA instructor certifications in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer, Personal Protection…
Classes provided for all skill levels.
Register early as class space is limited.
NRA Certified Instructors
Youth Handgun Safety Classes
NRA Instructor Classes
Full day Classes include sandwiches and refreshments.
We pride ourselves in teaching firearm safety and shooting skills to both beginners and professionals. Come learn in a comfortable environment with experienced instructors who are patient, dedicated and knowledgeable in all aspects of firearms instruction.
Couples Intermediate Pistol (200)
Ladies Beginner Pistol (100) Class
RI Pistol Permit & MA License To Carry
One-Handed Shooter (200)
NRA Basic Pistol Class
Combat Marksmanship (101) Advanced Outside the Waist Band Pistol
Tactical Skill Builder 1
Utah Non-Resident 30 State Concealed Carry Sold Out
Combat Marksmanship (301) Introduction to Night Vision
Couples Beginner Pistol (100)
Combat Marksmanship (102)
USCCA Intro to Women’s Defensive Handgun Class
Take charge of your family’s safety and get the basic knowledge and skills to safely handle or store firearms and ammunition in the home. Learn more about the The Preserve Academy NRA certified firearm safety training classes.
Take your skills to the next level
Learn how to protect yourself and your family both in and out of your home with Firearms Safety training and personal protection training courses.
Home Firearm Safety Classes
Rifle Training Classes
Shotgun Training Classes
“This place is absolutely gorgeous.! it has everything, you have to see it to believe it. staff are super friendly and knowledgeable. their prices are hard to believe, super affordable.”
“Today was day one of shooting at The Range and I can tell you this, there is no better facility. It has to be the quietest range I’ve been too, the staff is helpful and friendly, there’s is no stress or rushing involved. Great prices on guns and ammo too. First class all the way.”
Mark Sven Oltedale
“My 79 year old mother and I took the Ladies Only Class 100. It was perfect. It started out with class time on gun safety etc., move to a high-tech simulator, then onto the gun range. The pace was perfect. Robert, our instructor was thorough and knowledgeable, and the facility was impressive! I highly recommend this class for anyone looking to learn how to shoot!!!”
Cindy Voccola Joyce
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the age restrictions?
- Minimum shooting age in the range is 12 years old. Children under the age of 10 will not be allowed on the range.
- Shooters 12-17 years of age must be accompanied by a Parent or Legal Guardian.
- 18 – 20 years of age may shoot long guns ONLY in the range. No one under the age of 21 years old is authorized to shoot a handgun.
What are the age limits for rentals?
- You must be at least 21 years old to rent handguns and full automatics.
- You must be at least 18 years old to rent rifles or shotguns.
I have a concealed carry permit. May I carry a concealed firearm in The Range?
- Yes. ALL concealed firearms must remain holstered while entering the range.
- Upon entry, you must notify the Range Safety Officer that you will be shooting your concealed firearm.
- We require that ALL other firearms and extra magazines are unloaded and cased until the shooter is inside the shooting booth.
- No one may handle an uncased or unholstered firearm behind the firing line.
What safety precautions are taken at The Range at The Preserve?
- At least one Range Safety Officer is in the range, at all times.
- Everyone is required to take a range safety quiz before entering the range for the first time.
- All shooters are expected to follow the Range Safety Rules, which are posted in the range. Members can also request a copy of the rules from the gun counter or Range Safety Officer (RSO).
- Safety is extremely important. If the RSO sees any unsafe behavior, they will warn and educate the shooter. RSO’s have the authority to eject any shooter who continues to practice unsafe behaviors after initial verbal warning.
I have never shot a handgun before, can you help me?
- Yes, we recommend someone new to shooting sports enroll in one of our classes for beginning shooters or take a private lesson.
I have a felony on my record. May I shoot at your club?
- No, The Range at The Preserve complies with State and Federal Laws. Every shooter must attest to the following: I am legally allowed to possess a firearm in the United States. I am not currently the subject of a criminal or civil restraining order. I have never been convicted of a felony as an adult or juvenile. I am not a fugitive from justice. I am not an unlawful user of, or addicted to any controlled substance. I have never been adjudicated in a court of law, as incompetent to manage my own affairs. I have never been discharged from the United States armed forces under dishonorable conditions. I am a citizen of or legally in the United States.
I have a medical marijuana card. May I shoot at your Gun Range
- Your safety and the safety of everyone is the primary factor in this issue. Marijuana is no different than any other substance which may impair your ability to be safe. If you appear to be impaired or under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including ANY prescription medication, you will not be allowed to enter the range.
Do you rent eye and hearing protection?
- We have complimentary eye and hearing protection. We recommend that you provide your own eye and hearing protection.
Do you allow shooters to collect their brass?
- Yes, you are welcome to collect your brass. Please let the RSO know at the beginning of your session that you would like to collect your brass, so that the RSO will not sweep it away.
Can I draw from a holster in the range?
- No. Shooters are not authorized to draw and shoot from the holster unless supervised by a tactical instructor during a private lesson or class in which you are instructed to do so.
- You will be ejected from the range at the RSO’s discretion if you draw from the holster without supervision.
Is there a dress code to attend classes?
Member and Guest Dress Code.
When entering the Members Lodge Clubhouse, inclusive of the Double Barrell Kitchen Restaurant inside and outside dining, and the Preserve Academy classroom, we kindly ask that you abide by our Resort Casual Dress Code, permitting collared shirts, dress shorts, cotton and linen slacks, dressy blouses, pullover tops, dresses and maxi dresses, dress jeans, and close toed shoes.
Nonconforming clothing includes but is not limited to; bathing suits, beach coverups, camisoles, hoodies, non-dressy Jeans, carpenter pants, T-shirts, sweat suits, cutoffs, torn shorts, yoga pants, sneakers, and flip-flops.
Register Today. Satisfaction Guaranteed
We also offer a number of pistol permit certifications that are recognized across the United States as well as several NRA certified classes which are listed on our courses page.